Saturday 21 February 2015

Toaster Oven Love

I don't have many pictures this week, mostly because I have internet now so there's been a lot of this:


It was a pretty exhausting week.

Monday and Wednesday I went to the gym with coworkers and subsequently could hardly move the rest of the week. Need a quick lesson on numbers in Spanish? Go to pilates. I am also now fully familiar with the words "inhale" and "exhale" and "just a little more!" (which is always a lie).

Thursday I went on an adventure searching what felt like all of Triana for a toaster oven. I was determined. I didn't find a toaster oven, but I didn't go home empty handed.

I was wandering around and happened to pass by a little shop that had a mannequin outside with one of these blanket scarves on. It is no secret that I have been lusting after one ever since I came to Sevilla. Every time I pass them on the street, I consider haggling with the street vendors and buying one, but I always tell myself no and keep walking.

Well, this was a sign. I needed it. I bought it. I was so happy about my scarf that I didn't even care about making this creepy face:



I'm a scarf addict.

On Friday we get out of work early so we went on a gastronomic adventure. We started at a great restaurant called No Kitchen, which I'm not even sure how to describe. All of the food was delicious, which is evidenced by the fact that I didn't even remember to take a picture until the last dish - zucchini noodles with pesto and parmesan. Notice all the other empty plates.


Other tapas included salmon tartar with avocado and beet sauce, octopus with mashed potatoes (yes, octopus. Really.), "Surprise" tartar which was basically just tomato and spice, and cod with grated tomato.

Oh, and I'm 90% positive there was a picture of Guy Fieri on the wall with all their other press documents, but I forgot to take a picture (sorry, Dad).

All the dishes there were so tiny and light that we decided our best option was to go for a slice of pizza afterwards to fill our tummies (hey, it was Friday).


Best decision ever. Finally we ate real fro-yo while sitting in the warm, warm sun under the setas. Yum, yum, yum. Needless to say on Friday I did not need dinner (and thank god because all that is currently in my fridge is 1 zucchini, a bit of milk, and a bottle of wine).

After lunch (aka at 5pm) one of the girls walked me back to Triana, where she lives, to search again for the elusive, cheap toaster oven. Still no luck in Triana.

So Friday night I settled for paying 56 euro for this bad boy:


I managed to ask some really stupid questions to the shopkeeper (all in Spanish, mind you), but she was nice and super duct taped the box/bag for me so I could carry it home struggle-style without it ripping.

While I was checking out, an American guy came in and the first thing he said to another shop attendant was "No hablo mucho espanol..." and started playing charades to signify what he was looking for.

Ah, I remember those days (they still regularly occur). I chuckled involuntarily at the resemblance to myself and probably should have told him that the adaptor he was buying would be half as cheap at any of the nearby Chinos.

Also, who goes abroad and doesn't take a plug adaptor???


No comments:

Post a Comment